MB Financial Bank Senior Fraud Investigator - 6111 N. River Rd in Rosemont, Illinois
Reference: NB16657** Summary This individual is a member of the Bank’s Fraud Mitigation Unit and is responsible for conducting complex fraud and elder financial exploitation investigations and for developing and implementing fraud mitigation strategies in the oversight of mortgage fraud, eBanking, and third party payment processors. The candidate should have extensive experience identifying bank fraud within all banking deposit and payment channels, including checks, wires, ACH Origination, e-banking, and debit/credit cards. The position requires a strong understanding of elder financial exploitation and the ability to interview elderly customers and perform due diligence on individuals and entities that are the subject of an investigation. The candidate must have strong general banking knowledge and project management skills to support the development & implementation of new/improved fraud mitigation strategies across the organization. The position requires strong leadership and analytical skills as well as the ability to tackle new and difficult challenges. The senior investigator must also exercise sound judgment and observe the highest degree of confidentiality in the handling investigation information. The candidate should have experience in conducting investigations involving clients in the Retail and Commercial lines of business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Functions as a key contributor with demonstrated knowledge of banking operations and fraud prevention and detection controls across all areas of the bank.
- Participate in the development of goals and execution of fraud mitigation unit strategies.
- Acts as support to the Fraud Mitigation Manager in regularly reviewing, amending or revising policies and procedures.
- Plans and implements special fraud-related projects, processes and initiatives.
- Conducts daily customer account activity reviews to identify potentially suspicious activity.
- Completes analysis of transactional information to identify risks, trends and potential suspicious activity.
- Completes and accurately documents steps taken through the investigation process.
- Interviews employees and clients to obtain information related to unusual or suspicious activity.
- May consult and direct business partners in matters of bank fraud and elder exploitation detection and prevention.
- Prepares alerts, case investigations and Suspicious Activity Reports in compliance with established internal guidelines and time frames.
- Escalates high risk cases and effectively communicate investigation findings to management.
- Interfaces with other financial institutions and other external entities and escalates significant cases to the proper authorities - law enforcement, Adult Protective Services, and/or the Public Guardian.
- Develops and facilitates fraud prevention and elder financial exploitation detection to bank employees and community groups.
- Provides training and coaching to less experienced investigators.
- Assists and adheres to the department's quality control process.
- Makes recommendations and implements holds on accounts to prevent a bank or customer loss.
- May need to develop manual monitoring processes.
- “LIVES” the Bank’s Mission Statement and “PRACTICES” the Bank’s Corporate Strategy.
- Other duties may be assigned. QualificationsTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/ExperienceBachelor's degree from four-year college or university plus five to seven years related experience and/or training with specific emphasis on fraud investigations and bank controls to prevent or detect fraud within all banking deposit and payment channels, including: checks, wires, ACH Origination, e-banking, and debit/credit cards; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Also must be familiar with elder financial exploitation issues.
Ability to write investigative notes, SAR narratives, reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and/or customers. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as a solid understanding of the e-file SAR form.
Certificates and Licenses
Related professional certifications such as CFE preferred. May be actively pursuing the certification at time of application.
This job will require the candidate to head special investigation projects, from time to time, but will not have any direct reports.
**MB Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
As a part of the MB Financial hiring process all applicants will be required to submit to and pass a pre-employment urine drug screening. **2016.12.15