Northwestern University Research Technologist 1 in Chicago, Illinois
Research Technologist 1 conducts tests & procedures. Sets up & operates equipment. Records observations & measurements & collects & compiles data in a research lab. Requires a practical understanding of a limited number of standard scientific techniques.
A Research Technologist 1 position is open in the Shilatifard Lab in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics. The person that fills this role will function as an important part of a fast paced, productive research group.
- Follows pre-defined protocols, policies, procedure, regulations, Good Clinical and Good Laboratory Practices and conducts standard and repetitive experiments and completes basic trouble-shooting techniques.
- Sets-up, operates and maintains standard lab equipment.
- Using an entry level of skill, completes the following activities:
- Molecular Biology
- DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression Southern, Northern, Western blotting
- PCR, RT-PCR
- Plasmid preparation
- Cloning, mapping and sequencing of DNA
- Recombinant virus production and purification
- Cellular Biology
- Cell culture, cell isolation
- Functional studies
- Flow cytometry
- Antibody production and purification
- Records test results and may maintain databases.
- Completes standard and routine clerical duties such as copying, filing, data entry, word processing, etc.
- Maintains inventory of reagents, mice and lab supplies.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- HS diploma or equivalent and some basic science courses is required.
- Minimum of one year experience working in a laboratory setting.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 33383
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Research Technologist 1