Northwestern University Research Technologist 1 in Chicago, Illinois
Please Note: This is a Term position through August 31, 2020 (term positions may be extended, based on additional funding and other potential factors).
The Research Technologist 1 conducts tests & procedures. This role sets up & operates equipment. This position records observations & measurements & collects & compiles data in a research lab. The Research Technologist 1 requires a practical understanding of a limited number of standard scientific techniques.
_Please Note: _Animal work is a requirement of the position. Time in the workspaces will be divided between the animal facility for colony maintenance and the laboratory for completion of other primary responsibilities. The employee is to attend and participate in weekly journal clubs, group meetings and lab meetings and to be prepared to present at such meetings when requested.
- Follows pre-defined protocols, policies, procedure, regulations, Good Clinical and Good Laboratory Practices and conducts standard and repetitive experiments and completes basic trouble-shooting techniques.
- Sets-up, operates and maintains standard lab equipment.
- Using an entry level of skill, completes the following activities:
- Molecular Biology:
- DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression Southern, Northern, Western blotting
- PCR, RT-PCR
- Plasmid preparation
- Cloning, mapping and sequencing of DNA
- Recombinant virus production and purification
- Cellular Biology:
- Cell culture, cell isolation
- Functional studies
- Tissue fixation
- Cytokine assay
- Breeding and screening transgenic mice
- Blood collection
- Database management of colony
- Records test results and may maintain databases.
- Completes standard and routine clerical duties such as copying, filing, data entry, word processing, etc.
- Maintains inventory of reagents, mice and lab supplies.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- HS diploma or equivalent and some basic science courses are required.
- Sufficient chemistry and math experience to carry out basic lab duties (understanding of molarity, pH, etc).
- High proficiency with Microsoft Excel, and overall technical aptitude.
*Preferred Qualifications/Competencies: *
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific major or related.
- Preference for someone with basic molecular biology skills (understanding of cloning techniques, running DNA gels, etc). Basic microscopy and immunohistochemistry experience highly valued.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 33381
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Research Technologist 1