SMG Display Cook in Chicago, Illinois
Title: Food Court Prep Cook 1
Reports To: Chef/Sous Chef/Management/Supervisor
Job Status: On call basis
The Food Court Prep Cook 1 is responsible for all kitchen or preparation in the absence of the Executive chef or Sous chef. They will perform any cooking, baking, butchering required and performs any and all duties in the kitchen. They are responsible for the refining, expanding, and developing of their own personal culinary style while still adhering to all guidelines and standards set forth by the chef and recipes.
- Prepare food products as directed by recipe and/or supervisor while maintaining strict adherence to standards and specification.
- Must have excellent knowledge of all kitchen areas, shares knowledge with others in the kitchen.
- Ensure all production priorities are completed on a daily basis using the prep list as a guideline and by delegating workload effectively.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the work area according (including but not limited to refrigerators, counters, tables, storage areas, etc)
- Equipment/tools may be available, but it is suggested that you provide and secure your own tools
- Inform supervisor of any shortages or equipment malfunctions
- Knowledge of food quality, utilization, storage, rotation and consistency,
- Monitors and instructs proper kitchen sanitation.
- Assist Chef with ordering for locations/events when needed.
- Record cooler/freezer temperatures in kitchens and notify chef/s of malfunction
- Supervise prep staff and delegate work assignments
- Ensure prep staff follow FIFO guidelines for products
- Able and willing to participate in a team environment
- Understand written and oral direction and communicate effectively with others
- Scheduling flexibility is essential, willing to work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays
- 2 years of experience in a commercial kitchen.
- Must be able to work in a high stress environment.
- Ability to work in confined spaces for long periods of time
- Able to work in an environment having both hot and cold temperature extremes.
- Standing/walking: Remaining on one's feet in an upright position at a workstation and/or moving about a work area and between associated areas/buildings.
- Reaching/bending/twisting: continual movement using hands, arms, legs, shoulders and back.
- Pulling/pushing: Exerting force to move an object towards you or away from you up to 50 lbs.
- Lifting/Carrying: Ability to lift/carry items using proper lifting/carrying procedures up to 50 lbs
- Ability to move heavy (200+ pound) wheeled carts
Hourly Rate: $19.31
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled