Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration RN, Consult Unit Manager in Marion, Illinois
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1998793
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Answering the occupational questionnaire and submitting your resume does not constitute "Applying". You MUST SUBMIT those applicable documents reflected as REQUIRED under the "How to Apply" tab. Failing to submit any documentation that is required will result in loss of consideration. VA Form 10-2850a is no longer required at time of application. You must include a detailed resume which includes the date of each position held (mo/yr to mo/yr format), the number of hours worked per week, or if the position was full-time/part-time. Your resume must also list licensure information to include the license number and the issuing state. The link below provides information on what information should be included in a federal resume.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Reasonable Accommodation: The Marion VA Medical Center may provide reasonable accommodation for the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants and employees with permanent disabilities and allow them to fully participate in the application process, perform essential job functions, and enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment, in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, and VA policies, unless to do so would cause undue hardship to the department.
Please Note: This position requires Basic Life Support (BLS) certification. Only BLS certification which included Automated External Defibrillator (AED) obtained from either the American Heart Association (AHA) or the Military Training Network (MTN) will be accepted.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
NOTE: Preferred Qualifications have been placed in the qualifications section of this announcement. Please be sure your application/resume and supporting documentation clearly reflect your expertise related to the preferred qualifications, if applicable.
The Marion VA Medical Center is seeking a full-time Consult Unit Manager to provide administrative oversight of Consultative/Fee unit. As the Consult Unit Manager, the Registered Nurse is accountable to the designated Associate Chief Nurse or supervisor and has 24 hours, 7 days a week accountability for the appropriateness and timeliness of services provided. The Consult Unit Manager makes program specific decisions that reflect the distinct and contributory role of nursing; its responsible for providing clinical and administrative recommendations relative to programs, committees, and/or services that relate to Fee Services and Utilization management, and is a member of the Fee Services team involved in continuous quality improvement.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. excluding Federal holidays.
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse, #000000
This position is located in Extended Care Nursing Service, Consult Unit, Marion, IL.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Preferred Qualifications: Two (2) years of Registered Nursing practice, with previous management experience and a BSN degree.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Light Lifting (under 15 lbs); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Light Carrying (under 15 lbs); Pushing (up to 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 5 hours); Standing (up to 3 hours); Repeated bending (up to 2 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Hearing (aid permitted).
Environmental Factors: Electrical energy; Working with hands in water; Working closely with others; Protracted or irregular hours of work.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment. This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies. This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476763100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-21
Salary: $62,407 to $104,033 / per year
Pay scale & grade: VN 00
Series: 0610 Nurse
Appointment type: Excepted Service Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: MRN-T38-17-1998793
Control number: 476763100