Progress Rail Services Corp. Staff Accountant II in LaGrange, Illinois
Auto req ID: 1893BR
Posting Title: Staff Accountant II
Job Category: Accounting/Finance
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs.
Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world.
For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Responsible for analyzing data and preparing information for reports and studies relating to intra-company transfers; support tax team. Participate in month, quarter and year end close. Work involves accuracy and the ability to make decisions within the limits of general policies and practices. Independent judgment is used with minimal guidance received from supervisor/manager.
Key Job Elements
• Participate in month, quarter and year end close;
• Preparation and entry of a variety of journal entries;
• Lead intra-company netting and reconciliation processes and support inter-company netting and reconciliation;
• Support tax team with required reporting and submission of tax documentation;
• Perform balance sheet analysis and reconciliation to determine accuracy and adequacy of account balances, including timely follow-up and clearing of reconciling items;
• Solve problems and develop new methods of analysis, identify and implement process improvements;
• Prepare ad hoc reports and analyses as requested; participate in and/or lead special projects as needed;
• Assure compliance with US GAAP and SOX controls;
• Assist with preparation of work papers with proper support for the completion of audit work;
• Assist in other financial areas as necessary.
Education / Training
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or Bachelor’s Degree in business with a minimum of 18 hours of accounting coursework.
• CPA/CMA or progress toward certification.
Qualifications and Experience
• 2-5 years experience in accounting or finance;
• Solid understanding of all basic accounting procedures and knowledge of US GAAP;
• Ability and desire to work in a collaborative, team work environment;
• Strong analytical, written and oral communication, time management and organizational skills;
• Ability to network and collaborate cross-functionally;
• Ability to work independently, with moderate supervision;
• Strong skill level in Excel.
• Experience with month and year end close;
• Experience with intra/inter-company accounting;
• Experience in a complex manufacturing environment;
• ERP experience, in particular SAP;
• Experience with Business Intelligence (BI) Software.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities