Canadian National Railway Company Rail Track Maintainer in Chicago, Illinois
Role: Rail Track Maintainers work as key members of a crew inspecting, repairing and replacing rails, ties, switches and ballasts. To learn more about the job click here to view the video.
Duties and Responsibilities: Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Remove and replace defective ties, rails spikes and anchors.
- Prepare, use and maintain various common and specialized hand tools for assigned work.
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment and gauge.
- Install and repair street crossings and railroad crossings.
- Assist in the replacement or repair of items such as power-operated switches and insulated joints.
- Unload or assist in unloading ballasts, as well as unload and distribute track material.
- Sort used track material for loading (may load by hand).
- Clear brush, vegetation, snow and litter from railroad right-of-way.
- Establish and maintain drainage.
- Clean up after work completion.
- Understand and comply with track safety standards, Operating Rules and Safe work procedures.
* Working conditions:*
- Walking and working on uneven terrain and surfaces
- Work shift work, as well as work away from home on various work cycles and occasional overtime.
- Work at all locations across the region.
- Work outdoors, which includes extreme weather conditions, involving physical work
- Perform repetitive physical activities during the course of a shift.
- Frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 70 pounds.
- Frequent climbing, balancing, grasping, and good eye-hand coordination
- Comply with safe work procedures and policies.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Valid driver's license
- High School diploma or GED
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions or regulatory/safety environment
- Welding skills
- Knowledge of signals or Railroad Operating Rules
- Post secondary education
- CDL, with air brake and hazmat endorsements
- Experience operating heavy equipment and machinery
The ideal candidate profile:
- Ability to work autonomously and adapt to different situations
- Alert and prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances
- Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
Work location: Candidates must travel across the territory and work away from home for up to a week or more at a time in remote and often isolated locations. Training: Upon hiring, candidates will attend a one week on-the-job training at the CN Campus in Homewood, IL . Successful completion of the training program is mandatory in order to work as a Rail Track Maintainer. Union: Rail Track Maintainer is a unionized position. Wages, initiation fees, and monthly dues are required as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.
City: Chicago (South Suburbs)
Country: United States
Auto req ID: 8249BR